Monday, April 6, 2009

Grandma

My Grandma Ross died last Monday. It has been such an interesting experience. My main emotions have been relief and peace. She was old. She was sick. It was her time to go. I know that she is probably in the middle of a reunion that would make us jealous. It is a strange though that she is actually gone. Last night I as I walked to my parents house, through the big windows I could see someone sitting in her recliner by the door. The recliner where she spent the majority of her time snoozing in the sun. The recliner where I passed her at least 3 times a day going into my parents house. The recliner where she would call out most of her requests and orders, and where she would eat her meals. It was here that my kids learned to climb up on her lap because she would give them treats that I probably would have said no to...but hey grandparents and grandkids are supposed to conspire against you, right? But as I got closer I realized that it was one of my brothers sitting there. Then it hit me, she really is not here any more. I was a little sad.

6 comments:

Holli said...

I was sorry when I heard that. What a lovely lady... I must confess that when I get older, I have plans of holing up in a recliner and yelling requests, myself. That's a right of old age, in my book!

Joel and Crystal said...

This is such a great picture of Grandma. I heard the funeral was really sweet. Wish we could have been there. Sweet post.

The Battisti Family said...

I'm sure it has been surreal and has put things into perspective again. I'm glad you were able to have so many memories and learning opportunities with her. Yes, if we only knew what she was doing now, I'm sure we'd all be jealous.

Melissa said...

Meg I love this picture of your Grandma. I'm sorry for the loss, but so happy she's not sick anymore. I'm glad y'all had the chance to spend so much time with her while she lived with your parents.

Jini said...

Sorry for your loss. It sounds as though you have many beautiful memories that help you remember her. We recently lost a memebr of our family, and there is nothing like the experience to put things in perspective for you.

~kiMbeRLy~ said...

That was really sweet Meg. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It's true what you said..we would be jealous of where she is now.