Monday, June 2, 2008

it seemed like a good idea at the time...

...to load up 4 kids, 2 women(0ne nursing, the other pregnant) in the van and head home. Leave the menfolk to follow after doing clean up detail at the party. No worries...we just replaced the radiator in van, and that recurring thought to ask my husband for his phone was easily relegated to the back of my mind. 1 hour, 1 overheated van, 1 completely dead cell phone(sis-in-laws), 4 screaming kids later...I realize that that recurring thought...that was a PROMPTING! Eventually we were able to make it down the dark and scary feeder road to a little gas station and contact the menfolk who rode in on their white horses and rescued us with a jug of antifreeze. Other notable findings from this wonderful experience....
-Crystal realized in time to avert catastrophe that my sweet and stressed out 2 1/2 year old was not in fact holding a pacifier in his 3 month old cousins mouth...he was just covering her mouth with his hand to stop the screaming...
-I realized that Atticus(the first and loudest screamer) was mostly upset because he had pooped all the way out of his diaper. He felt much better when that was remedied.
-My complete gratitude to the gas station attendant who took pity on us as we came in bedraggled and trying to trade out a gold coin dollar for quarters and let us use his phone.

3 comments:

Holli said...

Oh brother, what a nightmare. But, just a helpful hint my sister once told me. If your car overheats, turn the heater on full blast. The heater in your car is just an elaborate way to waft in engine heat. So, by doing that, it cools the car off and buys you some more time.

Anonymous said...

wow oh wow! at least the knights on white horses saved the day!

Alisa said...

Meg--I have to say I feel so bad for you right now. That night, when I overheard your plan to Kenneth, I was thinking how brave you are. I still think you are super brave, but that situation just sucked all the way around!