Tuesday, August 12, 2008

morning...

wake up....time? 12am. trip to the bathroom and then to the fridge for a BIG drink of water. Feel like my throat is on vacation in the desert. back to bed

wake up...2am. bathroom. water(seriously, a vicious cycle). bed

wake up...4am. bathroom. water. bed

wake up...6am. bathroom(but no flushing....clue your house is too small? you can't flush the toilet at certain times for fear of waking the kids up.) water. bed

beep. beep. beep. beep. 6:45 alarm goes off....on my side of the bed. Blurgh! hit snooze and poke Kenneth(who the alarm is actually for....great system eh? wake me up so I can wake him up...)

hit snooze.

hit snooze.

7 am phone rings...answer it. Kenneth(still sleeping) needs to be ready for his ride to work early. Cattle prod him out of bed. Climb back in bed and pretend like sleep is still an option.

Quit pretending. Husband makes as much noise as a herd of elephants and turns lights on. Hear kids waking up. Pray that they will go back to sleep(ha!)...THAT happens soooo often at 7:20am.

Kenneth mentions something about an ant invasion and I hear him spraying something. He leaves.

As always...as soon as he leaves, the kids are AWAKE! Ready for the day.

I pretend like I don't hear them and head (yet again) towards the bathroom...as I walk past their door I smell poop...always a good sign.

Grab the twins and start the diaper changing wrestling match. this involves pinning one to the ground and trying to change the diaper while trying to keep the other one from grabbing poop. Why are they NOT interested in getting their own diaper changed(and will put up resistance worthing of a presidential medal of honor) ...but are fascinated and "helpful" when it comes to somebody else's diaper. Don't. touch. THAT!

Gavin decides that this is the time he needs to sit on my lap and have me read him a book. Really? REALLY? Do you realize that I almost inadvertently covered your face with poop. Poor kid. only 7:30 and mommy is already crabby and claustrophobic.

Finally get all 3 diapers changed. Sit on the floor and have a 3 baby dog pile accumulate on my lap. I feel like screaming. I never want to be touched again.(I neither scream nor throw children...there might have been some hysterical laughter. hmmmm)

7:50 am dog pile has cleared out. I am sitting on the floor contemplating whether or not I should ever stand up again. Atticus walks by with some of last nights dinner from the floor under the high chairs....CRUD! I remember Kenneth's comment about an ant invasion and realize that I am going to have to get up.

Offend the twins by shooing them away from the high chairs(rude I know...that is like their first breakfast every morning, whatever they dropped on the floor the evening before). Finally end up locking them and Gavin in their room as none of them understand the concept of "stay away from there or you will be covered in ants." Cause sure enough there are a lot of ants under the high chairs(most dead...thanks honey). I am officially off the twins Christmas card list...nothing offends them more than closing a door in their face.

sometime after 8(lose track of time for the next little bit). frantically cleaning, sweeping, and spraying for bugs. All to the soundtrack of door pounding and weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

Gavin lets everyone out. Dang that kid being able to open doors. Still a little too soon, but with some sweet moves on my part get all the ants and crud in a bag and out the door.

Twins start following me around and whining. Oh yeah....everybody still wants breakfast.

Cook eggs. The twins see me working with recognizable food products...start screaming. That reeeallly helps guys. Eggs are cooking much faster now. Gavin starts asking for cookies...and climbing on the counter to get some. Get. down. NOW! Have a twin on each leg.

I grab an apple while the eggs are cooking. Some child creates a disturbance and I set down the apple on the counter to handle the situation. When I get back my apple is gone. Gavin is eating it. Jane and Atticus are both chewing on pieces of it. They are triple teaming me...the little con artists. Oh well, at least he shared, eh?

Eggs done. Hallelujah!

Everybody eats. In theory 6 eggs should feed us all(daddy's not even home)....Ha! Even when I add a cup of rice to the mix I never get more than 2 bites.

All the eggs are gone. Twins start following me around and whining. Atticus is particularly diligent.

I tune them out.

Atticus grabs my leg and shrieks in an un-ignorable register.

Fine.

9:20am. Chuck the twins in bed. Chase Gavin out of the room(why won't he play in there when I want him too?)

turn on Blues Clues for Gavin.

finish dishes. rotate laundry. eat rest of cookies.

Blog. Pick at least 6 ants off my person while I type.

I'm tired. All in favor of today being over at 10:30am? AYE!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

AWWW!! Meg I'm so sorry. You told the story so well, I felt like I experienced it with you. Are you ready for number 4? Have y'all set a date yet?

Anonymous said...

wow oh wow oh wow!

The Katy Daileys said...

What an awesome mom you are! You are my hero...seriously. This sounds like a "Calgon take me away!" kind of morning. You handled all that like it was nothing. If you were getting paid for this stay at home mom stuff, you would be worth millions! Love you tons!

Anne-Marie said...

At least now you won't have to worry about Gavin eating the cookies :)

Rachel said...

Dear Meg, That sounds sooooooooo familiar. Made me tired and tense just remembering how familiar it sounded. Just substitute Joel, Meg and David for Gavin, Jane and Atticus.

AmyLyn said...

Oh. My. Gosh. My mouth is still open all the way to the floor. I am so glad you send Gavin our way every once in a while! And I thought it was because it made my day easier for Ella to have a playmate! HA!!

Pamela said...

Meg, you are amazing. I can't say much more than that.

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg! This is Natalie Hayes Dunning. I just wanted to thank you for writing this post! I was having the worst day yesterday and this post made me laugh so hard! Not laughing at you...laughing about how I can kinda relate. Just wanted to let you know I am an avid reader of your blog and I LOVE how you write! Thanks again!