Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Gavin


















-Gavin starts preschool in 2 weeks. He is so excited. We signed up in the middle of June, and he has been bugging me about it ever since.

-Gavin is potty trained. We told him he couldn't go to preschool if he wasn't potty trained...and he was instantly trained...seriously, we have had 2 accidents total since then.

Recent conversations with Gavin in which I wanted to sink into the ground:

setting: park near our home
I am putting Gavin's shoes on him as we prepare to leave. A Hindu woman walks into the play area about 5 feet from us...
Gavin: "What is wrong on her face?"
Me: (shushing him and speaking in a low voice) "Nothing is wrong, that is a religious mark."
Gavin: (looking thoughtful) "No, that's not it....(loudly) I know! She looks like a monkey!"
Me: (dying of shame) "What? No Gavin...that is not something we say about people..."

now the thing about Gavin, when I try to shush him he tends to get louder....as though he thinks that if he just says *whatever* loudly enough then I will understand what he is trying to say....So what happens as I try to shush him?...


Gavin:(very loudly) "No really mom...Look, She is a monkey!" as we walk away "Mom, Look! Look Mom, she is a monkey!"

Did I mention she was only standing 5 feet away....What does one do in such a situation? Run away...run fast.

2nd conversation:
setting hardware store. I am trying to follow Kenneth and only paying minimal attention to Gavin. I do however catch the tail end of a sentence that ends with.."hippopotamus!"

Me: "What?"
Gavin: (giggling and in a VERY loud voice) "That girl looks like a *mumblemus*"

the mumbling comes as I realize what he is saying and clap my hand over his mouth just in time. As soon as I start to move my hand...he starts trying to shout it out again.


Me: (whispering) "Gavin, we do NOT say that about people. You can say nice things about people, like their hair is pretty or they are really nice, but we do not call people hippopotamuses!"
Gavin: (giggling)"Ok mom. That girl....(speeding up) has a really big bottom!"

Ugh.

5 comments:

Laurie Huish said...

HAHAhAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

AmyLyn said...

"Well it's about frickin' time" you wrote!! (does that sound like Michael or what?;-) Those stories are so hilarious, Meg. I would have died

Sarah Fruge said...

hahahaha!!! I love the hardware store one! SO FUNNY! that made my day...

Sam and Robin Packard's Place said...

Your posts have me laughing...It's always great to see what you all are up to! They're all getting so big! Thanks for the call btw, Grant was so excited to hear from Gavin:)

Stephanie said...

Hey! You just wrote about this! I like your explanation to him about what he can say (Hair is pretty, etc). Very cute. Seems like he gets into a lot of trouble when he mixes animals and people!